I really like my HTC Desire from a hardware design, but the stock software is rubbish en not developed any more. The three main points I did not like:
- Phone calling in my pocket, because the slider was to easy to activate.
- Internal Memory with 20MB free is way to small to be usable.
- Battery was empty too quick.
Luckily there is a solution because mime runs Android; Custom Software. This is build by enthusiastic people hoping to make your device even more usable. Installing is more difficult, but no issue for the brave ;-)
Warning: You are brave a enough to void your warranty and possible brick your phone.
I used a variant of the CyanogenMod called Cibernodo Mod2Bravo, this required me to Root my phone and re-partition it. During the process I found at least 5 places which could possibly break my phone, so yet again:
Warning: You are brave a enough to void your warranty and possible brick your phone, please do not complain to me.
- Make sure you have an working Android SDK environment, preferably using Linux (I used Ubuntu 11.10 amd64), Install guide
- Root your phone using unrevoked method: manual
- Re-partition to fit an new partion scheme [using this blog http://mist.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/blog/?p=429] (I used the
Bravo CM7 r2version).
- Find the latest version of the rom at xda-developers.com. I used 6.1 which can be downloaded from here
- You will need the attachment:CM7_Hboot_MIUI_MOD.zip to make sure to you can install large applications.
Hopefully this guide will give enough pointers to make your phone as cool as mine.
2012-05-22: Cibernodo Mod2Bravo v5.0 has issues with reboots (stalls), I am going to try the new version v7.1
- Install Andoid SDK & Tools
- Boot phone in fastboot (hold Back button)
[rvdzwet@bunty src]$ sudo ~/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/fastboot getvar all (bootloader) version: 0.5 (bootloader) version-bootloader: 6.93.1002 (bootloader) version-baseband: 5.17.05.23 (bootloader) version-cpld: None (bootloader) version-microp: 031d (bootloader) version-main: 3.14.405.1 (bootloader) serialno: SH084PL01859 (bootloader) imei: 353833045688790 (bootloader) product: bravo (bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8x50 (bootloader) modelid: PB9920000 (bootloader) cidnum: HTC__E11 (bootloader) battery-status: good (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4123mV (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic (bootloader) security: off (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-365c78d6 (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11 all: Done! finished. total time: 0.004s