|Version 21 (modified by 2 years ago) ( diff ),|
Solution no longer supported starting from Fedora 27 (CUPS 2.2)
Starting from Fedora 27 the printer stopped working. Causing me to dive deeper into the magic world of printing.The printer has HBPL support. Yet the HBPLv1 driver from foo2zjs does not give me any output at all.The HPBLv2 driver at foo2hpbl does not work, giving error code
PDL ERROR 016-720. I am currently using the Fedora printer debugging guide to find out how-to get the original driver - which seems to send a modified version of postscript - to work again.
I gave up. Swapped printer for older well suported SamsungML1750 printer attached to my FreeBSD Server.
Some possible solutions for people willing to give it a shot:
- Different type of Xerox drivers for more recent versions of CUPS. forum post and download
- Use old laptop/pc/raspberry with older version of Linux to use as printer server.
- Driver hacking; the original source code is available, it looks like some hacking is required to get it compatible with the latest version of CUPS again.
The Xerox Phaser 6125N printer is a great piece of work, however it is not supported by default under Linux (Ubuntu 11.04 x64).
Getting it to work
You can how-ever use little trick to adjust the provided driver of the Fuji-Xerox DPC525A CUPS ppd in such a way that is also works fine for this printer. As described over here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205253.
This steps how-ever does not alter the ppd file in such a way that it is automatically detected, the attached files have two new features:
- provide autodetect support for both USB and UTP printing.
- Set the feeder to 250 pages by default, instead of none.
- Removed the non-standard and unsupported FXPostCard.
Download & Install
For the (Debian Ubuntu) folks
- Download cups-xerox-phaser-6125n-1.0.0.deb
- $ sudo dpkg -i cups-xerox-phaser-6125n-1.0.0.deb
When running 64bit you will also need to install a bunch of 32 bit libraries to get it working:
- $ sudo apt-get install libc6-i386
For the non-deb (Fedora, OpenSuSE) folks
- Download cups-xerox-phaser-6125n-1.0.0.tar.gz
- $ sudo tar -C / --no-overwrite-dir --keep-newer-files -xvzf cups-xerox-phaser-6125n-1.0.0.tar.gz
When running Fedora 18,19,20,21,22,23,24 64bit you will also need to install a bunch of 32 bit libraries to get it working.
- $ sudo yum install /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
When running Fedora 25 64bit you will also need to install a bunch of 32 bit libraries to get it working
- $ sudo dnf install /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
The package might create insecure permissions, causing the filter to fail as shown in /var/log/cups/error_log:
E [21/Apr/2014:13:20:23 +0200] Phaser-6125N: Directory "/usr/lib/cups/filter" has insecure permissions (040775/uid=0/gid=0).
$ sudo chmod 0755 /usr/local/cups/filters
Windows 10 driver Support
There is no Windows 10 driver Support for the Xerox Phaser 6125N anymore, yet the Fuji-Xerox DPC525A driver works fine. Do mind you need to change some options like telling tray 1 has an 250 sheet feeder and set memory support to 64MB, but at least you do not need to buy another printer.
If you can not get it work as expected. Please drop me an email