side by side
lines around each change
Show the changes in full context
White space changes
09/28/18 14:55:39 (
Rick van der Zwet
= Introduction =
Zero Emission Heating is a research project which uses left-over processing power from old computer equipment to transform Green Energy (generated using Wind & Solar Power) to heat.
* Reuse of equipment is placed higher on the [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_hierarchy Waste Hierarchy] ladder, than Recycling or Disposal.
* The computing power could be used for the common cause, by calculating for science projects using [https://boinc.berkeley.edu/ BOINC].
= Approach =
I have an old PC with additional GPU, how-ever running this at full capacity does not yield enough heat to fully heat my home, so I properly needs to be running multiple machines and do not mind the extra noice.
= Kickback =
By using [https://gridcoin.us/ Gridcoin (GRC)] you could get a small rebate of the costs required to run the equipment
= Challenges =
It comes with the following challenges:
* Running (old) computers requires time & effort in order to keep them running.
* Spare parts needs to be around to be able to cope with failures.
* Drivers for old GPU hardware are sometimes hard to get to work.
= Similar projects =
* Start-up [https://www.nerdalize.com/ Nerdalize] is using computing power to heat tap-water.