|Version 2 (modified by 4 years ago) ( diff ),|
Zero Emission Heating is a research project which uses left-over processing power from old computer equipment to transform Green Energy (generated using Wind & Solar Power) to heat.
This yields to the following benefits:
- The 'high quality' energy has a dual purpose, instead of directly converting it to heat.
- Reuse of equipment is placed higher on the Waste Hierarchy ladder, than Recycling or Disposal.
- The computing power could be used for the common cause, by calculating for science projects using BOINC.
I have an old PC with additional GPU, how-ever running this at full capacity does not yield enough heat to fully heat my home, so I properly needs to be running multiple machines and do not mind the extra noice.
By using Gridcoin (GRC) you could get a small rebate of the costs required to run the equipment
It comes with the following challenges:
- Running (old) computers requires time & effort in order to keep them running.
- Spare parts needs to be around to be able to cope with failures.
- Drivers for old GPU hardware are sometimes hard to get to work.
- Start-up Nerdalize is using computing power to heat tap-water.